A Well Balanced Life Eh?


I believe somewhere inside all of us, we long to live life to the fullest. To have a decent paying job in a great company with good colleagues while pursuing our passion, to have the time for hobbies, families, and friends. What better way to live?

I've been on AM shift the past 3 weeks. I have never in my life thought I will like it. Surprisingly, it gave me the time I needed to pursue other things. Last week was my last and I'm back to midshift the next few weeks, or months, maybe even years.

The week that has been especially this weekend was very productive, eye-opening, and entailed discipline and courage. My first Mother's Day away from home and my son. With a lot of alone time especially in the apartment, I have to combat the loneliness slowly creeping in. I miss Jonnor, Jong's flowers, and my mom's home-cooked meals in special occasions such as this, and the usual "talks" with my besties. No, I'm not homesick. Just missing some people back home. So, I filled up my time with endless things that was forever in my to-do list.

1. Exercise. I have gained 5.5lbs since coming to Califonia. I've always wanted to exercise but the cold weather always prevented me from going outside. I started brisk walking with a bit of light jog at least 3x a week. The view around the area is spectacular and relaxing. And today, I did zumba! Besides, exercise releases endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. So they say.

2. Invested. I sent money back home for a business start-up for one of my best friends. At least it's passive income for the next few years. Let your money work for you, right?

3. Journaling/Planning. I haven't touched my planners in so long eventhough all of it have been set-up back in the Philippines. And journal? What journal? My last entry was January. But now I'm back! 

4. Beach. I have been planning to go to the nearest beaches since I arrived but I can't make my phone stay connected to my car's monitor. I've learned that planning is the key. I have to memorize the way and all its surroundings before embarking on my journey. Thank God for Google Maps satellite view.

5. Brushlettering. This is something I started a few weeks before I left. Just so I can write the days of the week or special events in my journal/planner other than my usual handwriting. I practiced everyday before I left and then stopped when I got here. So now it really does look like a total beginner. But I'm willing to start over. You should never be afraid to try again, right? 

6. Laundry. Finished this before my weekend to give way to my housemates. Folded it too! Right after it dried! That's saying something I tell you.

7. Chat. Kept friends and family close despite the distance. Told them I miss them. I'm not one to keep my feelings inside. Hahaha! 

8. Helping out. Gave some extra cash to a family with 3 small kids whose father has recently lost his job. Helped out a friend too. 

9. Follow-up. Replied to emails and sent important ones that I keep putting off. Called Amazon too regarding my Kindle tablet (from The Medpro Experience) which I said I will since middle of April.

10. Reading. Started the Paulo Coelho book I bought last March. And I try to read a few chapters every night before going to sleep. Read 5 chapters last night. Or was that last Saturday? Still the weekend anyway.

11. Shopping. Retail therapy they call it. I bought myself gifts in celebration of Mother's Day and as an inspiration for me to regularly update my planner and journals and continue with my brushlettering.

12. Travel. I was supposed to go to The Flower Fields in Carlsbad. My first freeway drive alone. But when I woke up Sunday morning, it looks like it's gonna rain and I chickened out. Went to Laguna Beach Monday to compensate for that. No freeway driving but still exploring an unknown place alone with my intermittent GPS.

13. Blog. Yeah, I know I just ramble when I write. It's still good practice. A habit I want to keep in the hopes I will improve over time. Just like my brushlettering and calligraphy. Practice makes perfect. So they say. Besides, a writer writes, right? No?

Tomorrow is the start of another work week...in midshift. I have to squeeze in all of the above in between and if I can't, there's the weekend anyway. Makes up a well-balanced life isn't it?

(And somewhere inside me is the silent prayer "Please don't make the other shoe drop." Pessimism at its best?)

Comments