Today's Realization

My gums surrounding a broken tooth is swollen the past 3 days and it hurts like crazy. I'm allergic to OTC pain meds (NSAIDS) which left me to rely on topical medication like Xylogel for babies and toothache drops that smelled like spoiled egg. I filed a sick leave from my regular job yesterday but the medtech at the lab which I co-owned called early this morning asking me if I can take the afternoon shift as something came up. I asked if it's toxic and she said no. Since I have to come over anyway for the DOH Compliance, I said yes. Toothache and all. I brought the Xylogel with me.

I spent 6 hours doing both the compliance and doing medtech stuff: blood extractions, CBC, prenatal lab exams, pre-employment exams, UA, platelet count. I didn't realize how tiring it was until I was on my way home. All I can think of was "all these for P400?" I had free snacks though. It's one of the things we offer staff. Free breakfast, lunch, snacks for a certain amount of course. But since I'm one of the owners, we usually scrap the snack budget. That's how we are when the lab started earning. When one of the owners are there, we buy meals which is beyond the usual allotted budget. Mind you, we don't ask for something like a full Kenny Roger's meal. Mostly Jollibee or Mcdo since it's just across the street.

This is a 3rd World problem. College education is expensive and when you get to the real word, your salary is just a little more than your allowance when you were a student. Especially in the healthcare profession - nurses, radtech, xray techs, pharmacists, medtechs. These also require a professional license (board exams). If you have not passed it yet, salary is worse. If a company offers you more than P700 with a lot of freebies, grab it. Of course, some offers more than that especially in the government sector. But these jobs, government or not, are somewhat grueling. Physically draining with long hours and a 6-day work week. If you're on 5, lucky you. And don't get me started with the CPD law!

It has just been an accepted fact that if you take any of the above profession and you're not pursuing Medicine, you'll end up abroad. C'mon, with a salary of P600/day, you cannot give your children a good education. What? You're a licensed professional living in a 1-bedroom small apartment (or with your parents) and your kids are in public school? Nothing against public schools by the way - my parents and my husband are products of public schools. I like the job but not the financial constraint it brings. Well, I pray I can leave before my PRC expires because no, I have no plans whatsoever to complete the units needed for renewal. P10k for 14 units? No way! That's like a month's salary! By all means, take my license then!


Comments